Staying Healthy in the Midst of the Coronavirus
As COVID-19 (the coronavirus) ramps up in the U.S., and we are forced to stay inside, it’s more critical than ever to stay healthy and active. While many of us will be exposed to the virus, keeping our immune system functioning at peak performance will minimize the virus’ impact and the duration. Here are some practical tips to stay healthy and fit during this time of turmoil:
- Don’t smoke
- Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables
- Maintain a healthy weight
- If you drink alcohol, drink in moderation
- Get adequate sleep
- Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and not touching your face
- Get outside
Exercising can be a bit difficult since Stone Age Climbing Gym and most of the other gyms in town are closed. But consider the options that are available:
- Hike, bike, walk or run
- Do floor exercises at home
- Youtube your favorite exercise routine and do it at home
- If you’re a gym member, see if the gym is offering Skype workout sessions
- Try something you’ve never done before ; there are dozens of options online
And for your mental health consider:
- Limit watching the news to 30 minutes a day;
- Invite a co-worker to a virtual coffee break or lunch gathering;
- Take a 20-minute walk outside daily, preferably in the sunshine.
- Try some new things with family members – explore new games, cook a new recipe or binge watch a new series;
- Touch in with a family member daily by phone or video chat;
- Contact friends by phone or video chat.
Remember, the coronavirus is temporary, but taking care of your well-being is forever. Take the steps now to stay healthy and productive.